Did you know you can get urine lab tests at urgent care clinics? We offer a variety of lab tests at MainStreet Family Care, and we’re here to educate you about common urine tests at urgent care.
What Are Urine Tests?
There are a variety of urine lab tests offered by urgent care clinics. Each test surveys your urine for different characteristics and can be very telling about your overall health. It is important to understand your urine health from a healthcare perspective, and these tests may be done yearly or more frequently depending on any medical conditions you may have.
Many employers require their employees to get drug tested upon hiring or throughout the year. This type of test generally requires the provider to collect a urine sample. A typical drug test is 10-panel, meaning it searches for 10 distinct types of drug traces in your urine. These drug types are considered “street” drugs and are commonly abused. The following substances are on 10-panel drug tests:
- Marijuana (includes extracts, THC oil or wax, and hashish)
- Opioids (heroin, morphine, codeine, etc.)
- Cocaine and crack cocaine
- Benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax, Ativan, etc.)
- Amphetamines (meth, Adderall, Ritalin, etc.)
- Other drugs (PCP, methadone, etc.)
There are three test results that you can receive: positive, negative, and inconclusive. Inconclusive test results likely mean that you will have to redo the drug test or have further analysis conducted on your urine sample.
If you are having symptoms of a urinary tract infection (UTI), it is very important that you receive a UTI test, as this condition can be dangerous if untreated.
For more information regarding UTIs, refer to our What Are UTIs? page.
When taking a UTI test, your provider will ask you to complete a few steps to ensure accurate test results. These instructions will include the following:
- Before urinating, thoroughly wash your hands and wipe your genital area with a provided antiseptic wipe to eliminate any exterior bacteria.
- Perform the clean catch method, which consists of first urinating into the toilet, stopping, then resuming urinating into the provided cup.
- Once you have provided enough urine for the sample, finish urinating into the toilet.
- Wash your hands once again before leaving the restroom.
After your sample is collected, lab technicians will test your urine for signs of a UTI. The typical urine test looks for:
- Leukocyte esterase or white blood count in the urine.
- Red blood cells or blood in your urine.
- Bacteria in the sample.
All of these signs point directly to a UTI, and if you have one, the urgent care clinic will ensure they treat you for this condition.
Urinalysis is another example of a lab test at urgent care centers. This type of test gives a full overview of your urine by testing a few different factors. Additionally, the general appearance of your urine will be documented to ensure it is healthy. When asked to complete a urine test, the provider is looking for:
- Healthy urine color
- Acidity (PH) of the urine
- A medical condition such as kidney or liver disease
- If you are at risk for or have kidney stones
At MainStreet Family Care, we offer rapid urinalysis testing onsite at each location!
Other Urine Tests At Urgent Care Clinics
Aside from these common urine lab tests, urgent care centers offer a plethora of other urine tests that can give your provider more insight into your overall health or any conditions you may be facing.
Some of the other urine tests MainStreet Family Care offers include:
- Pregnancy Tests
- STD Tests
Turn To MainStreet Family Care
Are you in need of a urine test? MainStreet Family Care is happy to help you with this! To visit a clinic, register online. Our online registration allows you to wait from home or your car until we’re ready to see you.
Walk-ins are always welcome, but please be aware that registering online reduces in-clinic wait times.